Thursday, June 26, 2008

177/366: the skinner

177/366: the skinner

It's summer, the hair had to go.

When I was a kid, I got to stay with my maternal grandparents int he West Oak Lane section of Philly. My grandmother was strict, but had a much nicer house than mine and was a great cook. The only problem was that she always insisted on taking me to Mr. Lee's Barbershop. I dreaded the trip there, but had no choice and knew better than to protest.

Once in the barber's chair, my stomach would always churn when I heard this brief conversation:

Mr. Lee: "So, what are we having today, the 'skinner'?"
Grandmother: "Yep, take it all off"

The problem with this was that she'd have me get my hair cut just before I left, mere days before school started. In grade school, kids who returned after summer break with a freshly shorn heads (like yours truly) were the targets of much head-slapping when the teacher's back was turned. I got into a few fights because of that.

As an adult, I can't wait to get into the barber's chair when summer hits.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites