Thursday, January 10, 2008

10/366: other worlds

10/366: other worlds

I've always read comics. They were my saving grace as an only child, taking me to places with people and beings I couldn't imagine.

I've never been a 'collector', but rather more of a very interested reader. When I was a teenager, I sold off a ton of books that brought in a good amount of money at the time, but had I the sense to keep some select titles, I would have had a lot more only a few years later. Immediate circumstances dictated the disposal for cash.

I continued reading regularly until a little over five years ago when my habit became too expensive.

This past September, a new comic book store opened up near my studio in Old City. I couldn't help but go in if only to look. I'd returned to the old neighborhood but didn't recognize the surroundings. Most of the characters I knew were still around, but in the comics world 5 years is like 20 life-times: a lot can happen. I wanted to reacquaint myself with the Marvel universe and started with the Civil War saga, one of those events that affected just about all of the Marvel characters.

I also like a lot of non-hero characters and books from my older collection, like Neil Gaiman's Sandman, the Transmetropolitan series, Lucifer, and Preacher and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites